Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Travel Tuesday - Family Outing by Horse & Buggy


They say times were much simpler one hundred years ago.    I guess in many ways they were - I'm sure there were not many traffic jams commuting.  Of course, there were muddy roads with jagged holes, broken wagon wheels, bad weather, and numerous other road hazards with no cell phones to call "Road Rangers." However, in today's picture, this family looks quite ready for whatever outing they are about to embark on, perhaps  a picnic or a visit to another family member's home.  I notice one woman with a fan to keep cool and the young boy in the rear with an umbrella to keep the sun off his head.  This picture postcard appears to have been taken around 1910 and in France according to the back.



3 comments:

  1. I've read that in big cities like NY at the turn of the century the large amount of horses caused much problems (think about the noise, the smell, etc.).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true, I think I was thinking of my own experience of coming from a small town. I'm sure there were "traffic jams" in the larger cities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I don't think I would want to get the lady with the whip angry!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...